13262538

I have a Son from a former relationship and 9 years ago a UK

Customer Question

I have a Son from a former relationship and 9 years ago a UK (England) court order was put in place which set the amount of financial support I had to provide. I have followed the court order for all of the 9 years. My former partner now wants to go back to court as my circumstances have changed and she wants more money. I no longer live in the UK. I do receive my salary in to a UK bank account but it is not taxable as I'm out of the country. The only income I pay UK tax on is from my house that I have rented out.
Can you advise if firstly she can take me back to court and secondly will the court take in to account my UK income or worldwide income?
Kind Regards,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How old is your son and how much is the current payment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Son will be 12 in October. Current payments are £725 per month and go up annually as per RPI
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
By what percentage has your overall income increased since the order was made (roughly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My salary has probably doubled since the court order was made 9 years ago
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you know anything about your ex's income?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd guess she is earning around £30-35k per year. She has recently brought a 3 bedroom house and drives a new car. She is my ex partner. We were never married and only lived together for 3 months before splitting up after our Son was born.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Very roughly - what percentage of your income do you currently pay as child maintenance - and are you responsible for the financial care of any other children at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx 7 or 8 % of my gross income. As I live and work outside the UK my earnings are not taxed in the UK.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that your ex is indeed able to apply to the Court for an upward variation of the child maintenance.
Whilst she will have to provide evidence that the reasonable needs of the child have increased that is not difficult - and the Court will look at your income from all sources.
There is a reasonable chance that the Court will indeed grant an upward variation to a figure which is roughly 12% of your gross income from all sources.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as my income is earnt outside the UK and not paid in to the UK would the court still take it in to account?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am afraid so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If an upward variation order is applied for will the court back date payments from when my salary was increased?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No it can only be backdated to the time the applictaion was made at most