Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I left my partner 4yrs ago. We were engaged but never married.

I left my partner 4yrs ago. We were engaged but never married. We have 2 daughters together (23yr old twins). I worked for him in his own business for nearly 25yrs. When I left the only financial payment I received was my half of what the house was valued at as we had a joint mortgage. He was also a retained firefighter during the whole relationship although now retired. The only items he allowed me to take was a sofa, 1 arm chair, 1television (we had 6 altogether) and a wall unit. I had to buy everything else even a car! Was I able to claim more and is it too late now?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The difficulty you have in this case is the simple fact that you were not married and the children are now 23 years of age. The law treats those who were married and those who were not married very differently. If you owned all of the house then you would be entitled to the house - but because you were not married you are not entitled to maintenance and the like. Please remember to rate
I hope this helps. Please remember to rate positively.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know I am not able to claim maintenance. What I want to know is can I still claim for half the cost of the contents and am I entitled to any of his fire brigade pension or half of his business?

If you both put the money into the contents then you would be able to claim for a valid share - which could of course be half. You would not be entitled to a share in his pension as the law presently stands or his business unless you had invested into it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With regards ***** ***** business, it was run from our home so can that be taken into account?

Not unless you were a shareholder in the business or it was a joint business. Please remember to rate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I can still claim for a share of the contents after all this time?

Yes, if it is part yours. That is pretty straight forward. Please remember to rate positively.