Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am currently separated (5 years), now wishing to divorce.

Customer Question

I am currently separated (5 years), now wishing to divorce. My question is regarding our jointly owned property. My husband has been living in this property since we separated, I have been in rented accommodation. During the 5 years separated I have contributed monthly to the mortgage - each paying £500 per month. We put the house up for sale last December, unfortunately no buyers yet. House is on market for 145K, however the outstanding mortgage is 112K with arrears of 9K (arrears have been incurred due to my husband not paying for a period - this came to light last December when I then insisted the house be put up for sale. He has now requested that I sign the house over to him so I do not have the `burden` of this debt. My question is, can this really be done in light of the arrears ?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Is the sale price realistic and does the Mortgage amount include the arrears?
What other assets are there - including the pensions - and what income do you each have?