How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Kasare Your Own Question

Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

Separation and principle on asset split

Customer Question

We are separating. I have been cohabiting with my partner for that last 18 years and we have a 20 year old daughter together. My son from previous relationship has lived with us since he was 2 (now 24). During that time I have brought up the children (both very premature) and been a pretty much stay-at-home mum through necessity as that I had worked full time up until birth of daughter and was the main income earner of the two of us. My partner pursued his career while I did what was necessary on the home front and have taken on some freelance projects and other work once the children were older for my own sanity! We are joint tenants on the property in the UK that we have lived in for most of that time and been trying unsuccessfully to sell it for 18 months. We also have a property we own outright in France which we bought jointly (Aug 2007) with us both providing as much money to the project as we could at the time. My partner has apportioned the financial split on the French property at 39.95% me and 60.05% him based on amount he believes was spent in total to make it a home. Is this right in principle? I know I did not personally contribute the same amount but any monies he put towards it were acquired through working full time which I would have thought was for the benefit of the family. Likewise my income although not as significant as his has always gone towards the family and paying my own way so I wasn't totally dependent as that doesn't sit well with me. Is the principle he is applying to the French property correct? Thanks, Lynda

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No its very time sensitive so will have to try a different route. Please cancel request and payment details.



Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
It is unclear if you are intending to separate and the percentages relate to settlement negotiations, or simply to how you hold the property
If it the second then the matter will need to be dealt with under French law - if that is the case please let me know and I will transfer you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. I cancelled my request last night as you advised there was problem fulfilling it. So please disregard.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just checked my credit card and a payment was taken yesterday!!!!! Ouch

That is payment for something not received as your office informed me same day you could not fulfill within time scale so I cancelled.

Please confirm that the refund is going through and no further payments will be taken as no service has been provided.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Previous | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
  • Harris's Avatar


    Family Law Expert

    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters