Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

I own my property without a mortgage.12years ago I took in

Customer Question

I own my property without a mortgage.12years ago I took in a lodger who became my lover. he paid a monthly amount into my account for house keeping purposes. He contributed and did nothing with regard to the maintenance of the property. We are now separated. Has he any rights to a claim of my property.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
My answer assumes that he did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that you are unmarried.
The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided he has not contributed more money in payment for household expenses than he would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and did not make improvements to the property which increased it’s market value then he would not be advised to make a claim against your property
Assuming the amount he paid was normal for this type of cohabitation then he does not have any appreciable chance of claiming an interest in your property.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom