Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My daughter owns her property outright. 12 years ago she took

My daughter owns her property outright. 12 years ago she took in a lodger who became her lover. He contributed to the every day living expenses but contributed nothing toward the up keep of the property. They have now parted. Has he any legal rights to a claim on the property.?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Strictly speaking he does not have an interest in the property. He would have to show that she intended them both to own the property or that he contributed in a significant way to the property (repairs, extensions and the like) for him to have an interest in the property. The fact that they had a relationship does not give him an entitlement and if the money spent was on basic living expenses then that would also not entitle to a share.Please remember to rate positively