Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I have a 10 month old grandson whom i have seen regularly from

Customer Question

i have a 10 month old grandson whom i have seen regularly from birth and stayed overnite every saturday without question. both parents lived in my house and i had a lot of time with him and being a big part of his life. my son and partner have just split up and the mother is now keeping him from us and dictating if we can see him and in and being very vindictive with no just cause other than anger. they lived at my home when her mother and father threw her and the baby out of their home. please advise me of my rights to see him as i know he will be missing me as i miss him .marie
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
does your son have parental responsibility - were they married or is he on the birth certificate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my son is on birth certificate and his son has his full name and surname. they are not married.

Thats great - your son has PR. He can apply (as can you) for a Child Arrangement Order so that you can see the child on a regular basis. This is basically a court order. It is straight forward. You would need as a grandparent to apply for leave (permission) to make an application. It is done on the same form. Follow these steps to apply for a court order.Read the guidance on making an application - http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/cb001-eng.pdfFill in the C100 court formSend it to your nearest family courtIt costs £215 to apply for a court order.
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience: Over twenty-five years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do we need to pay a solicitor or can we apply for this order ourselves.

YOu can do this all yourself.
In fact the starting point is that you have to try and discuss matters with the mother using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
for which Legal Aid is still available.
The strongest claim is for your son to apply and for you to share in the time that the child spends with him - indeed he could look for a shared care system on that basis