Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I am a foster carer with a local authority and have had a little

I am a foster carer with a local authority and have had a little girl live with me for 2 years now. She is on a full care order and birth parents have been ruled out. I have been asked to take an sgo out on her which we agreed to. But since a great aunt has come forward for her she has passed her Assesment and the la plan to move her in a couple of months. The aunt hasn't ever had any contact with this little girl. Do we as foster carers have any rights to be able to adopt her, or are all the rights with the aunt.
These cases are very difficult and I would recommend that you get a children panel solicitor who specialises in such cases. Ultimately the decision of where to place the child is with the court and if you have passed an SGO then this is very positive and you obviously have a good relationship with the child. If however the LA are supporting the aunt then I would imagine that the parents are also supporting her which would make it very difficult for you to succeed. I would however consider seeing a solicitor and seeking to become parties to the proceedings.
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience: Over twenty-five years experience
Please remember to rate
How old is the child?
Did you have any progress with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi , she will be 3 in oct and has lived with me since she was 9 months old.