How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34276
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I own a third of a property, my son is currently living there.

Resolved Question:

I own a third of a property, my son is currently living there. My current husband who is not the boys father wants him to pay rent and says he has a legal right to some of it, even though he does not own the property at all. Can he sue my Son for money as I have given him permission to have it rent free?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who is the other owner of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Mother who is in a care Home and my Brother, they are not looking for my Son to pay any money. He has spent several thousands of pounds to update the property that is why I haven't asked him for nay rent. He also has a young family and finding things difficult financially.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Since your husband has no financial interest in the property then he has no right to say whether or not you should charge your son rent - and he certainly cannot sue him
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you