Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My Daughter is due to give birth in 5 weeks and the baby's

My Daughter is due to give birth in 5 weeks and the baby's father wants nothing to do with her or the baby. He does not want his name on the birth certificate. His mother is now harrassing my daughter over her 'right' to have contact with the baby. Could you tell me what her rights are please?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The starting point is that the paternal grandmother does not have any specific 'rights'. She would if agreement as to spending time with the baby can not be agreed (this could be either face to face or mediation); need to make an application to the court for both permission to make an application and then an application to spend time with the child. She is not assisted by the fact that the father is not on the birth certificate or have parental responsibility, but these are not insurmountable hurdles. She would I would suggest be allowed to spend some time with the child - maybe weekly or fortnightly.I hope that this helpsPlease remember to rate positively.