Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I own a house with my ex partner. He is still living in it,but

Customer Question

I own a house with my ex partner. He is still living in it,but I am not. He is in the process of buying me out. So far he has paid me half the agreed amount and I said I would wait until his 65th birthday for the rest. He has now had his birthday and, I presume, looking at his pensions, but he has not yet indicated that he will be paying the balance to me soon. Up until now I have had full access to the house but he has now changed the lock on the door. What should I do? If I go to a solicitor I have no doubt that he will drag his feet and it could get acrimonious. We have, thus far, always been able to have reasonable and friendly discussions about everything, but his changing the locks puts a different perspective on things.
How should I proceed?
Thank you, Linda
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Are you still on the deeds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Because there is a mortgage (in joint names) and he would probably have difficulty getting one in his own name, I said I was prepared to leave the deeds & mortgage as is until it is paid off. It only has 4 years left to run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going out shortly but will be back after about 9.30pm.
Well the fact that you are still on the deeds give you a considerable degree of protection. I would be minded (and you know him best) to play a softly softly approach for a few days - text him or drop a note asking when you may get the money. The fact that you are on the deed means that you can as necessary still apply to the court to get access to the property.
I would certainly wait a couple of weeks before raising the stakes and instructing a solicitor.Please remember to rate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more thing, all the while my name is ***** ***** deeds am I entitled to have full access to the house?
Yes this is correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my pleasure