Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My ex wants to move back to Canada with my daughter(aged 6)

My ex wants to move back to Canada with my daughter(aged 6) We weren't married, but I have parental responsibility. I recently attended court to ensure that the ex returned to UK from a holiday to Canada. The judge decided to direct on the issue of the longer term issue of the move, even though that was the not why I was there.He has directed that we move to a final hearing, even before the ex's application has been seen! He even commented that I had a weak case! Is there not a due process to follow? I have always offered mediation to the ex, but I have received no details of when she intends to move or any other details. I am concerned about the impact on my daughter if she is just taken over there; what about my rights? Any advice appreciated.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Have CAFCASS been directed to order a s.7 report
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The judge stated that 'he did not see the need for a CAFCASS report/involvement'. Any request has to be in by 27 august, but the ex doesn't return with my daughter until the 30th, and then the final hearing soon after 7 sept. It seems like I'm getting steamrollered.
I rather think that you are being steamrolled a little. I would apply to the court on a C2 for CAFCASS to undertake a s.7 report. This is quite a complicated area of law - the leading case on this issue is Payne v Payne. I would also look at http://www.familylawweek.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed84409This is quite an important and complicated area of law and I would certainly recommend that you get a lawyer - be it a solicitor or barrister on public access.Please rate - I am happy to continue to help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm almost resigned to the move happening. What are my rights if she is moved out of the UK's jurisdiction? How can I ensure access to my daughter? If the CAFCASS report shows my daughter doesn't want to go to Canada, will the court listen?
It will certainly be a factor for the court if the child is against the move. You will see in Payne that there is a 'checklist' of things for the court to consider - it would appear that at present these are not being considered - really father should be addressing all the points which you have raised above in his final evidence (as per Payne) - setting out how he proposes to maintain your relationship. This is also something which CAFCASS could/should investigate - the pros and cons - the emotional harm to the child and how contact will be maintained.Please rate positively