Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Am separated from my husband years. He owns the house

Customer Question

Hi am separated from my husband for 4 years. He owns the house I am currently living in. He moved out because he said he could no longer afford to live here. I have been paying the mortgage since he left and he paid in before then since 2002.
He now wants to move back into the property - I see this as my home.. I have other properties but there is no equity in them and there is no equity in this property so not much by way of property to split. I own a property abroad which does not have his name in it and has equity in it.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
How long did you live together and are there any children involved?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No children there is a large sum outstanding not mch equity in the property. About 50,000 lives together in and off since 1996.
Do you mean that the equity is £50,000?
What assets does your ex have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has no other assets he was made bankrupt in 2008
Best wishes
What happened to the house within the bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happened to the house I paid most of the outstanding amount and it was not repossessed there is a charge on the house which was not part of the bankruptcy
Sorry I meant what approach did his Trustee in Bankruptcy take - did you buy out your husbands interest in the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi clare no I didn't the property is in his name there was no change to that in the bankruptcy. His name continues to be in the house
Ok
Was it in negative equity in 2008?
Are you intending to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it was and yes I am
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it was in negative equity in 2008 with charges and I am thinking of starting divorce proceedings.