Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My husband has refused to acknowledge any part of the divorce

Customer Question

My husband has refused to acknowledge any part of the divorce proceedings so far and now refuse to sell the family home but isn't contributing half the mortgage. If I move out to a rental, am I still liable for my half of the joint mortgage?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Yes you would still be liable for half of the mortgage if the mortgage is in your joint names.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
There are in fact two separate issues here.
So far as the mortgage company is concerned you do indeed remain liable for the mortgage with your ex and if there are arrears the Mortgage company can take action against both of you.
However if you move out your husband cannot force you to pay anything towards the mortgage at all.
However you shoudl also be aware that there are ways of forcing the issue with regard to the financial side of the divorce if you wish to remain in the property and force the issue
Please ask if you need further details
My colleague did not realise that I was helping you in this matter. I am sorry about that. Whilst it is correct that you can not be forced to pay anything towards the mortgage if you move out, you will still be liable for the mortgage to the mortgage company. Arrears of the mortgage would clearly not assist you financially or your credit rating. Please ask if you need any further details.Please remember to rate positively.
Please remember to rate positively