Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My children, aged 16 and 14 have been living one week with

Customer Question

My children, aged 16 and 14 have been living one week with me and one week with their father for two years. They no longer wish to do this as they are not happy when with him, he often upsets them and they call me in tears regularly. They say that they don't want to be there alternate weeks - they were fine when it was just alternate weekends as it was prior to these 2 years.
Would I have to go to court to change this previously 'amicable' situation? He knows that I am not really able to go to court (financially) and is always threatening to 'take me to court' whenever we disagree on child matters.
I need to provide my children with a viable alternative. Can I tell them its their choice and I will support them. ( I would encourage alternate weekends with their dad). Or could he reasonably take it to court? If he can, what kind of cost implications of this type of court action?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
If there is not a court order in place then you do not need to take the matter to court to set out this proposed change in the arrangement. As the children are now so old then their decision will prevail - they will simply in reality vote with their feet and the court would accept their view in any event. It will be their choice.I hope this helps Please rate positively