How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32980
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I would just like to know what I would be entitled to during

Customer Question

Hi I would just like to know what I would be entitled to during divorce procedures. We have been married for 3 years but together 7. In that time we have owned two houses. (the first house I was not on the mortgage but paid into it for 5 years) and the second one I was only there for 4 months but barely paid towards it as I was earning very little. Our mortgage is £175,000 but the house is worth £215,000 at least. My ex has all of the belongings in the house and some of it is on finance which he pays monthly. I have not paid towards any bills for the house since leaving 3 months ago. He has offered me £10,000 to cut ties and come off the mortgage but I don't know whether I should now accept this as quite a few people seem to think that I am entitled to more. Please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Dear Gem,Are the assets just the house - what are the finance/debts?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I take it no children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The finance is for furniture. And no children
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and yes, just the house and contents such as appliances etc
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
The starting point would really be 50-50 of the assets after the deduction of the finance. Obviously he would have a good argument that he should get a higher sum as he has put more money into the marriage - but it is a matter of negotiation - I would certainly think with the starting point at 50-50 you would and should be able to negotiate more with him.Please remember to rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how would I go about all of this? And what is the chances of me getting 50%?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
At this stage it is really about negotiation - you can get a solicitor to write to him with a formal proposal - whilst this would costs some money it may well be sufficient to resolve it quicklyPlease remember to rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What reasons of unreasonable behaviour can I use? Also how many do I have to use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible that I took the house on? What would I have to do? I could afford it with my boyfriend but on paper I only pick up 1k a month. Can he just sign the house over to me or do I have to have checks on me again etc?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Ok these are new questions - happy to answer but please rate positively for the first question please

Related Family Law Questions