Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Claire. I was subject to a life order when divorced in 2008

Customer Question

Hi Claire. I was subject to a life order when divorced in 2008 very large payments of 100k plus RPI (which has built up a lot) with only a small 20k proportion for kids - and whilst I am a high earner now my youngest child is 15 my eldest at uni and my wife loves mortgage free and I feel I was very badly advised given she is well qualified to work albeit hasn't since kids 5. Does the White case give me hope. Also now remarried twin children and need scope to not just live well but save up for my retirement....
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is your income and how long were you married?
What was the capital settlement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The capital settlement was 50:50 approximately with the 4 bed house mortgage free going to wife (my 50% included pension). We were married 13 years and kids 7 and 10 at time. I was earning around 700k at time I am self employed and so profit varies it has subsequently (in recession) dipped to 450k (when I could barely pay) and up to 900k my concern is with kids grown, my ex has no interest in working despite being highly qualified and able to do so, she lives very frugally and barely pays for the kids at all. Surely it should now reduce to reflect her reasonable needs, encourage her to work, and allow me to build up a retirement fund as my income will likely reduce now I approach age 50. We settled before court and If eel I was badly advised towards a life order.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How old is she and what qualifications does she have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is now 47 and has O levels, 3 A levels, a 2:1 degree in biology/chemistry, and a PHD. She was previously working for pharma companies and has now I understand trained as a mediator but makes no effort to seek paid employment even though my eldest drives herself to school and my youngest gets the bus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you remember on what basis you were told this was a worthwhile offer to accept?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Simply based on the orders going through in London at the time - and that it represented about a third of my pre tax income (after tax). It seems ridiculously high when I think about it now - but at the time I was given no particular steer that I was likely to do better at court. I now see awards (in press) where even multi millionaires do not get these kind of income orders.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Did you not consider a pension sharing order at the time?