How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34137
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am just about to go to a mediation meeting on Tuesday. My

Customer Question

I am just about to go to a mediation meeting on Tuesday.
My wife (separated) has been with a new boyfriend since shorty after our separation and wants a quick divorce and has admitted adultery. I have agreed to pay her off half of the equity in the house as she wants to move out quickly and move on to the new relationship.
I have 2 children with her and I earn £105,000 a year - she earns £35,000 a year and is looking at £1000 a month in settlement a month...My official CSA payment works out at £1049 per month but I feel i should argue this in mediation as I have given her everything she has wanted and I have still have the children every other weekend and one night per week.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you.
There is little point in arguing Child Maintenance in Mediation.
Whatever sum is agreed your ex will always be able to apply to the CMS for the correct amount - either immediately if there is no Court Order or after 12 months if there is
Instead check the exact figure you will have to pay using the calculation here
and offer a rounded down version of that
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


This is my intention. I know what I am supposed to pay (£1018 per month). In previous mediation sessions I thought around £1000 was fair (at the time) but she also wants payment for half of school things, holiday cover while she works etc - this would amount to much more that £1018 per month.

I have also agreed and she has accepted half of the equity in our house. I have owned the house in my name (after buying my own house at 18, now 44) so always kept it in my single name. She has never paid a penny to mortgage or bills and has only ever paid for food (£600 per month) while earning £3000 per month - should I also challenge the money and where it has gone as my part of the asset settlement along with the family car.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but a 50/50 settlement is in fact a good deal for you even in these circumstances and there is no point in challenging it/
You certainly do not have to agree to pay for child care or anything else extra - although you may wish to consider agreeing to pay half of school trips etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think it's worth me challenging half of the value of the family car (approx £4000) and her business earnings (£6000) as part of settlement
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You can bring them up - but they are not really worth spending a lot of time arguing over given the costs of mediation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Mediation so far has cost £900 and this is potentially £5000+ - I will bring it up and see the reaction.
Thanks for all your help
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
I hope all goes well

Related Family Law Questions