Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I split up from my ex partner 6 and a half years ago. She

Customer Question

Hi. I split up from my ex partner 6 and a half years ago. She remains on the mortgage although she does not reside her. When she moved out we had a agreement that I payed her £26,000 which I payed her after 3 and a half years. Now she is wanting to remove her name from the mortgage however myself and my current partner are unable at this moment to get another mortgage. Please could you advise is she legally able to enforce me to sell the house in order to remove her name. This is of great worry as I have dependants living with me. Thank you
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The starting point is that you/she need to realise that the only way in which either your name or your ex partner's name can be taken off the mortgage is if the bank agree to this course. There is no such way of forcing the bank to do that unless the money owing is repaid. What she might attempt to do and there would I am afraid be force in her application is force a sale of the property.