ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have been primary carer 2 boys now aged 14

I have been primary carer for my 2 boys now aged 14 and 11, since my husband left 11 years ago.
I tried to move and he took me to court. After a long winded and expensive process we now have shared custody.
As he has them for school now from September he has stopped all maintenance and is going to claim maintenance from me.
He is also going to claim Child Benefit so I don't get that either. (although I know he earns close to £100k p.a.
I have calculated based on the holidays and every other weekend I will have them about 116 days per year.
Please advise me on where I stand as I have had to get 2 loans to pay for the court fees and have a mortgage, based on maintenance and CB when it went through last year.
Tania
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am ok to wait but am under a lot of pressure to respond and have been threatened again with CSA/court to get me to pay.

Still no response from Child Benefit office

Tania

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question - I am a Solicitor and able to help.
Unfortunately if your children will be spending more time with their father - then he would be able to seek maintenance from you. You should check with the Child Maintenance Service as to what your liability would be.
Your ex could also make a rival claim for child benefit. It would be harsh if he did so if he is earning over 100k. This doesnt stop him making a rival claim but if he did receive the child benefit then with earnings over £60k then he would have to pay all this back by completing a self assessment at the end of the year. Perhaps this might put him off?
Kind Regards
I would be grateful for positive feedback. I am new to this service and therefore positive feedback is gratefully received.
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings