ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My boyfriend is worried about the laws of marriage in

Customer Question

Hi my boyfriend is worried about the laws of marriage in relation to divorce. He has mentioned prenuptial agreement however I am not comfortable with this. Am I right in thinking that a prenuptial agreement can be contested anyway?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Pre nuptial agreements are not currently binding. A Judge could however consider a pre nuptial agreement and make a Judgement in accordance with such an agreement. It would be expected that full financial disclosure had taken place prior to the agreement being signed as well as you having legal advice in relation to the terms.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so have I got this right.... Even if you get a pre nuptial agreement prior to marriage stating things like "if the marriage fails and ends in divorce, individual pensions and savings cannot be accessed by the other person". Basically can you protect your pension and saving by a pre nuptual? Or have I understood it correctly that the other party could contest it and a juudge would make the final decision?
Thank you for responding. If the marriage did unfortunately fail and agreement couldn't be reached between you as to a fair division of assets then Yes a Judge would make the final decision.
The Judge could consider the pre nuptial agreement when deciding but if full financial disclosure and legal advice had not been obtained before signing the pre nuptial agreement then the Judge will likely consider the Pre Nuptial agreement as not being fair.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. I would be grateful if you could rate my advice.
Caroline
I would be grateful for positive feedback.