Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My mother was an only child. When she was 14 her parents divorced

Customer Question

My mother was an only child. When she was 14 her parents divorced and she moved out of the house with her mum. Over the next few years her father paid for her university fees. My grandfather remarried (the woman moved into their house) and then had 2 children with him. My grandfather died about 10 years ago. He was always a very wealthy man. When he died he was still living in the property bought by my grandmother and him. My mother inherited nothing. Isn't she entitled to something?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Has she done anything since the death?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She asked a local solicitor and he said she was not entitled to anything because she had not ever gone back to the home she lived in with her parents until she was 14
Has she seen the will?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the beneficiaries are the 2nd wife and the 2 other children.
If that is the case then I am sadly not terribly optimistic. Generally, contested probate time limits vary depending upon the type of claim, and are governed under the Limitation Act 1980. If you are serious about contesting a will, it is always really important to immediately seek legal advice and help. For example, if you wish to submit a claim under the Inheritance Act then the time limit is just 6 months from the date when probate is issued. By contrast there are time limits which operate depending upon the nature of the claim, for example a creditor has 6 years to bring a claim, while if a beneficiary wishes to bring a claim he or she has 12 years. As she is not a beneficiary then the time for bringing such a claim may well have passed.