ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

Does a mother have to transport her child rights

does a mother have to transport her child for visiting rights to her father if he is estranged from the father and collect her or is it the fathers responsibility to collect and return. the faher has walked out on the mother and child?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a family solicitor and am to help.
The courts would expect that parents work together to seek to agree the time that the child spends with both parents. It is the child right to have a relationship with both parents and this should prevail as long as there are no child protection concerns.
In relation to travel, it is often considered that 'splitting' the travel is most appropriate i.e. that one person drops off and the other parent collects.
If agreement cannot be reached then consideration should given to making a referral to a mediation service whom can help the parties come to an agreement if both parties are willing to engage. One such mediation company is the National Family Mediation Service. www.nfm.org.uk
If the father was not happy with the mothers proposals then he would have make a referral to mediation and attend at the assessment session before being able to make an application to the court for the matter to be reviewed.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. Positive ratings are gratefully received as I have only just started as an expert on this site. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it make any difference if the father is insisting in the mother doing the travelling one way when he insists on seeing his daughter every other weekend and twice during the week?
It really depends how manageable it is.
If the distance is quite far and the mother simply doesn't have the funds to be able to finance such travel then a Judge would likely be more sympathetic.
The mother is best to openly state what she can do and justify what she cant do.
If the Dad is not happy with the mothers proposals then his recourse would be to have to go to mediation and then to court.
kind regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer.
Please do not hesitate to return to ask more questions on this service in the future.
Kind Regards