Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I have to go to court to contest a non-molestation order

I have to go to court to contest a non-molestation order that my ex got ex parte. An Advocate at my local council said she would do the witness statement with me and go with me to court which is great as she has legal aid and I cannot get legal aid. The
Advocate is not a solicitor though. Can she still formally represent me or would she just be a McKenzie friend? Many thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The advocate can help you draft a witness statement - but if you is not a lawyer then she would not be able to represent you in court as a lawyer. She would need to apply to the court to be considered as a McKenzie Friend. This does not allow her to speak on your behalf but to simply advise you whilst you speak to the Judge. You can sometimes pay for lawyers (barristers) to represent you at hearings under the direct (public) access arrangement.I hope that this helpsPlease rate positively for me - thanks