Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

If I remarry,could my new wife make a financial claim

Customer Question

Hello.If I remarry,could my new wife make a financial claim against my exwife's property which I still part own? The divorce agreement on the property was that she would continue to live in it and I would leave my share to our children upon my death.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
If it remains an asset which you continue to own then your new wife could should you divorce seek to make a claim on that property. This is because despite your desire to leave your share to your children it still remains an asset within any potential divorce pot.I hope that helpsPlease remember to rate positively - thanks
Please remember to rate positively - happy to continue to discuss
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.This being the case,can we,my new wife and I,enter into a legal contract forbidding at any point in time,either of us being able to make any claim against the others' property ?
You can enter into a pre nup agreement - they are not completely binding - but the court is taking them into account much more often.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my pleasure