ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I am currently living with my husband and pay 50% of the

I am currently living with my husband and pay 50% of the mortgage and bills. My husband is the sole proprietor of the property although his ex partner is still named on the mortgage. Would it be in my best interests to have a joint mortgage with my husband and have my name on the deeds to the property or am I in a good position not being on the mortgage or deeds, having proof of all money I pay towards the property and (as I understand) being entitled to 50% of the property through marriage?
Rachel halliday
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rachel
As you are married - then you still have rights in your husbands property even if you are not named on the mortgage or deeds. You do not need to prove what you have paid - simply being married gives you rights.
If you were to separate from your husband then you could register a Matrimonial Homes Right Notice at the Land Registry - Free of Charge - on Form MH1. This would confirm your rights to occupy.
If you were to divorce and separate then you would be entitled to a share of your husbands assets by virtue of being married to him.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. We receive no payment or credit for our work unless positive feedback is received.