ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My son is 18 years old and works full time, if me and my wife

My son is 18 years old and works full time, if me and my wife divorce can I be forced to pay maintence in any way for him
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
As your son is 18, full time employed and not in further education then you would not be liable for any child maintenance through the Child Maintenance Service. The general rule is if your wife is no longer receiving child benefit for your son then you are not liable.
Your wife could try and seek maintenance for your son as part of financial settlement in divorce. The court would likely not accept such an argument if he is working full time.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work and we do not get paid unless positive feedback is received.