ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have an 18 year old daughter, just finished school going

Hi I have an 18 year old daughter, just finished school going to art college. I haven't seen her for 10 years but have tried to stay in touch. Parental alienation by the mother has been used against me. Interestingly, I am now seeing my son who is at university.
When can I stop paying payments for a child I don't see or know ?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Unfortunately Child Maintenance is not dependant upon whether or not you are actually having a relationship with your daughter.
As you are currently paying maintenance through the Child Maintenance Service (new name for CSA) then you remain liable until you daughter turns 20 whilst she is in full time non advanced education. University education is classed as advanced education. You need to check your daughters course to see if the college course is classed as advanced or not.
I am sorry to 'rub salt in the wound' but you also have to be aware that even when your daughter starts university, if she does, then a Schedule 1 Children Act claim, could be made in certain circumstances for you to continue to support your daughter whilst she is at university. Although I note that this does not appear to have been initiated in respect of your son.
In relation to spending time with your daughter - unfortunately a Court would not entertain an application made by you for a Child Arrangement Order for you to spend time with her.
I appreciate that what I am telling you is not what you want to hear - and it is certainly not the advice I want to give - but I have a duty to be honest.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.