13262538

I am currently paying spousal maintenance to my ex of £1500 a month linked to a court

Customer Question

hi...I am currently paying spousal maintenance to my ex of £1500 a month linked to a court order...I lost my job 12 months ago and have just got a new job. I paid the full spousal maintenance during this time. My current income including pension is now a third of what I was earning when the judgement was passed. I have written to her explaining I want to reduce this payment to £500 as I am now earning 50,000 and not 153,000 a year. plus I would restart child maintenance of £350 a month for my son who is 15. she has replied via a solicitor that this is unacceptable and I must pay the full amount. She is 52 and very capable of working (has not worked ever since we were married in 1998) she says she trying to set up small business venture (has been for 3 years) and refuses to go out to work. Recently sold the old matrimonial home with app 100,000 balance over new house bought...she says that some of this is being used to fund the business...where do I stand if I start paying her the reduc
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How did you manage to maintain the full payments for the last year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From my redundancy monies

Don

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that you cannot simply start paying the reduced amount - you need to make an immediate application to the court for a downward variation.
You have been generous as you could have made the applictaion a year ago - and the Court is likely to be willing to backdate a reduction to the time that you MAKE the applictaion, so you could risk paying the reduced payments at that point.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks that is useful, am hoping to come to an arrangement directly with my ex to save this

regards

Don

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Try discussing it with her using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk