ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

A lesbian couple in a civil marriage year. Partner A

Customer Question

A lesbian couple in a civil marriage for a year. Partner A has a baby by sperm donation, then partner B says she doesn't want anything to do with the baby and starts divorce proceeding. B doesn't want to pay maintenance for the child or pay anything to A (low earner) despite B being a high earner.
What should A do in this situation? (I hope this makes sense)
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and I will try and assist you.
Please can you confirm if you were civil partners - at the time of the treatment? When baby was born?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Yes we were civil partners at the time of treatment.

Thank you for your response and for confirming the position.
As you were civil partners at the time of the treatment then you both hold parental responsibility for your child.
If your ex will not agree to pay for maintenance for your child then you need to submit a claim to the Child Maintenance Service.
It you are also considering dissolving the civil partnership then you should also l
It you are also considering dissolving the civil partnership then you should also look to making a claim for yourself in respect of the matrimonial finances.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.