13262538

I have shared PR grandson who lives with me by way of

Customer Question

I have shared PR for my grandson who lives with me by way of a court order, his mother is talking about supporting our application for special order of guardianship, but, the father wont.
we had to fight hard and took all our savings on solicitors and barristers what benefit is their to obtaining SOG. My husband and I have enrolled him into a private school and he is doing really well, hes only 4 and has a very bright future ahead of him.
Can you please tell me of any if there are any benefits in occuring more cost for obtaining the SOG
Thankyou
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help youWhat contact do the parents have with him?Clare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mother has once a month supervised and once a week via skype.

The father has every other weekend for 1 day not sleeping.

however we have now only allowed the father supervised due to his drug taking, dealing and driving with the child in a car without a license, insurance etc.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What do you see a being the benefit of an SGO?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, are we entitled to any financial help, my husband earns too much to receive working tax credits or even family allowance. My husband is 63 and im 46, I have had to give my job up to look after the child, and now we are in a situation that means that we can only take holidays during school holidays, although we love him dearly, our whole life has been turned upside down by him living with us, by way of restrictions etc.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are the parents working and paying child maintenance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No unfortunately not

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have they interfered with the care of the child in any way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, he attends swimming club, trampolining club and gyyymnastics club, of which the parents know about and are not interested in supporting, or even asking about, at banytime.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was the child placed with you by the Local Authority?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, initially the child was handed to us by the mother who said she couldnt cope, and he has stayed with us ever since. The social worker tried on 3 occasions to obtain a PLO (care order), The social worker said that if a PLO was not granted then the child should be returned to his mother. which we fought and won, then at the final hearing everybody including the social worker supported our application for Child Arrangement Order.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In that case you have nothing to gain from an SGO at this stage.
If you are not eligible for Child Benefit then the Local Authority will certainly not offer any funding under the means assessment and if the parents are not challenging your decision making then you do not need the right to override their wishes.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details