LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been renting to a family member who has been recieving

Customer Question

I have been renting to a family member who has been recieving housing benefit for over 20years.. the council have just found and and suspended the benefit .
i have been using a letting agent to manage the property by doing this it proves it is commercial.. it now appears that when they put in the appliaction they did not put in the form that I am a family member..the payments have been going direct to the letting agent and after deductions the money came to me.
if the tenant caused the fraud will they pay back the money and have I any chance of being prosecuted as I did not fill or sign anything
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
yes, the tenant may have to pay back the money. You will not be prosecuted for this unless there is an allegation that you conspired with the tenant to fill in the form wrongly.