ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My 17 year old daughter is in hospital with anorexia, and my

My 17 year old daughter is in hospital with anorexia, and my ex husband ceased his payments for her (when she was 16.11 years) based on the court order which states he pays until she is 17 or no longer in secondary education. The illness has meant she has had to leave school. Are these extenuating circumstances that mitigate this ruling?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
If your daughter is not in employment then your ex still has statutory liability to pay maintenance for your daughter until she reaches 20 years old.
Normally your daughter would have to be resident with you and in full time education - however the Statutory Child Maintenace Service still class children whom are long term hospitalised as qualifying children.
Please see this for the guidance and contact details for the child maintenance service:
http://www.cmoptions.org/en/other-arrangements/statutory-service.asp
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.