Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My brother and his partner were together years they

my brother and his partner were together for 25 years they have a joint mortgage although she hasnt paid a penny for last 6 years and married someway else.My brother has suffered 2 severe strokes and is unable to work she wants to sell the house so she can get her share leaving my brother homeless .he has carers 3 times a day to look after him can she force the sellknowing she left him in the beginning
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Bad news I am afraid. She would be entitled to insist on the sale of the property if it is held in joint names as you suggest. If matters can not be agreed - such as potentially him buying her out - then she would be entitled to apply to the court for a power of sale. I would be delighted to discuss further, but kindly remember to rate positively. Thanks