Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

My husband entered into an illegal bigamist marriage in Las

My husband entered into an illegal bigamist marriage in Las Vegas this year to an American woman whilst being married to me for 6 years in England. I have proof of this but he has recently had the illegal bigamist marriage annulled. I am also in the process of filing for divorce obviously, however can I still get him arrested for his crime & what is the sentence in the UK? Thank you for your help.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.
Bigamy is certainly a crime in the UK.
Is your husband in the UK now? Why was the marriage annulled?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marriage had to be annulled by him & the Vegas wife because I exposed him to her with proof of our legal marriage so it was the inevitable conclusion. However I am concerned now as because it is annulled, can he still be hopefully arrested as obviously I have proof of the overlay when he was married to us both & believe it or not I have footage of his ceremony amongst other pictures, messages etc.
Thank you for your response. What a shocker!
I have to be honest and tell you that even though I can say that Bigamy is a crime in the UK - I am not certain whether or not his annulment would bar prosecution or not.
I have had a look on line for you (because I'm intrigued by your case) and it would appear from what you have said about the annulment only taking place because you had exposed them then prosecution could still take place. I found the Nevada state rules here:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-125.html
look at the first paragraph - under the annulment section.
I'll opt out now to see if anyone else can help.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am happy to wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have been sent an important message by one of you but cannot open it as says "web page not found".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I've read the earlier posts. You can report your husband for bigamy even if the marriage has now been annulled. Bigamy as a crime was committed as soon as he went through the marriage ceremony in Las Vegas.
As far as sentencing is concerned, the sentnce has to fit the crime and also the offender so it is impossible to say precisely what the sentence would be but there are guidelines that you can look at here:
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/bigamy/
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.