ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I receive monthly maintenance from my ex-husband as

Customer Question

I receive monthly maintenance from my ex-husband for life as long as I don't remarry. My partner and I are planning a pretend wedding next year, a friend is going to take our pretend vows with us. Nothing legally involved however could my ex stop the maintenance because of .....intent to marry?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
The answer you seek will be in the exact wording of your court order.
Court orders of this type often also have a co-habitation clause - ie if living together for 6 months then payments stop although from your description it doesn't sound like this is the case.
If your order says 'legally married' and you don't legally marry then your payments should continue.
If your ex disagreed of even if his circumstances change then he could look to make an application to vary the order.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. There is no restriction on cohabitation in the order. Pleased I asked as it was bothering me. Full steam ahead with the pretend wedding !!!

Your welcome
Kindest Regards
HiYou do need to be aware that this "pretend wedding" would certainly be useful ammunition for your ex if he choses to apply to the court for a variation of the existing order.It is quite possible that this ceremony will be seen as sufficient commitment to entitle him to a dismissal of the maintenance altogetherClare