13262538

My partner and I want to get Married but he has a house with

My partner and I want to get Married but he has a house with a lot of equity and in the future a large inheritance.  Would a pre nup stand up in court now or is there any way to make sure that if we did divorce he could be assured I wouldn't be entitled to half and his assets now would be protected

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youHow old are you both?How much is the equity in the property?Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 41 and he is 40. He had the property before we got together and probably about 150 k. I'm not interested in any of it should the relationship break down. I need an assurance for him that his money is safe

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to check - are any children planned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No lol he has one with an ex and I have two

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hiprovided it is done properly which means1. You both have separate legal advice2. It is signed not less than 28 days prior to the wedding3. There is full financial disclosureand the provisions are reasonable then it is likely that the Family Court would respect the agreement and abide by itI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyway else of doing it other than a pre nup?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Not that will protect him in the same way I am afraid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No that's fine as long as it will stand up in court that's great. When uou say separate legal advice could we after seeking separate solicitors just get one yo do the paperwork

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - yes that is fine - one acting for your partner drafts it and then you trot off to a separate solicitor to be advised on what it means!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for all the questions lol do you know roughly what it will cost?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Get some quotes - but somewhere between £200 and £300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ah thank you clare. Hopefully this will get him into gear. Many thanks for your help

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well