Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I have a private arrangement with my ex partner and pay maintenance

I have a private arrangement with my ex partner and pay maintenance for my daughter. She has now left school, she is 16 . I have just found out she was expelled from school last year and is no longer in education but is not working either. Her social worker told me she had an appointment with someone who could find her a job but she did not turn up. They are now going to make another appointment but they will have to pick her up to make sure she goes. Is it right that even though she is not in education I still have to pay maintenance because she is not working. I was told I am legally bound to pay until she is 18. I want to stop payments but naturally would pay again if she went back into education. Can I do that?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
what was agreed between you and your wife? was it is a court order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No court order. I pay £60 per week plus extra for clothes etc when required.
Well basically child maintenance payments usually stop when the child reaches 16 (or 20 if they’re in full time education) not higher than A-level or equivalent). The are between 16 and 19 becomes something of a litigation grey are where there is no court order such as in your case. I would be minded not to pay to the mother and offer to pay some money directly to your daughter. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively.