Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

My father was an Austrian citizen, who died in 1985 in London.

My father was an Austrian citizen, who died in 1985 in London. I am a British citizen, and inherited ownership of a house in Austria. Could I obtain Austrian citizenship?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
This is a matter of Austrian law, not UK law. However, I have done some research for you and the legal position would be:
a) Children born in wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship if
• born before 09/01/1983: father is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth
• born on or after 09/01/1983: one parent is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth
b) Children born out of wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship
• if mother is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth
• by legitimation if child (whose mother is a non-Austrian citizen) is still a minor and unmarried at the time of his/her parents' marriage and the father is an Austrian citizen at this time. If the legitimated child is over the age of 14 (but still a minor), he/she must consent to the acquisition of Austrian nationality.
For further information you should contact the Austrian immigration authorities or a lawyer in Austria.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At some point during or after the war my father took out British citizenship. I was born 13/1/1945. How can I ascertain when my father became a British citizen and whether he needed to give up his Austrian citizenship to become British?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You would have to write to the immigration authorities in both countries to find out whether he retained or alternatively gave up his Australian citizenship.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was a factual error in your last answer unfortunately - my father was Austrian, not Australian (Commonwealth!)

Please could you send me the relevant addresses of the UK and Austrian immigration authorities. Thank you very much!

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that was a predictive text error which a I didn't notice; thank you for pointing it out.
The starting point for the UK, although they may send your enquiry to another office is:
Home Office
Direct Comminications Unit *****
London
SW1P 4DF
Austria, I suggest you contact their embassy in London in the first instance:
Austrian Embassy
18 Belgrave Mews West
London
SW1X 8HU