How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11551
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My father was an Austrian citizen, who died in 1985 in London.

Resolved Question:

My father was an Austrian citizen, who died in 1985 in London. I am a British citizen, and inherited ownership of a house in Austria. Could I obtain Austrian citizenship?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
This is a matter of Austrian law, not UK law. However, I have done some research for you and the legal position would be:
a) Children born in wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship if
• born before 09/01/1983: father is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth
• born on or after 09/01/1983: one parent is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth
b) Children born out of wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship
• if mother is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth
• by legitimation if child (whose mother is a non-Austrian citizen) is still a minor and unmarried at the time of his/her parents' marriage and the father is an Austrian citizen at this time. If the legitimated child is over the age of 14 (but still a minor), he/she must consent to the acquisition of Austrian nationality.
For further information you should contact the Austrian immigration authorities or a lawyer in Austria.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At some point during or after the war my father took out British citizenship. I was born 13/1/1945. How can I ascertain when my father became a British citizen and whether he needed to give up his Austrian citizenship to become British?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You would have to write to the immigration authorities in both countries to find out whether he retained or alternatively gave up his Australian citizenship.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was a factual error in your last answer unfortunately - my father was Austrian, not Australian (Commonwealth!)

Please could you send me the relevant addresses of the UK and Austrian immigration authorities. Thank you very much!

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that was a predictive text error which a I didn't notice; thank you for pointing it out.
The starting point for the UK, although they may send your enquiry to another office is:
Home Office
Direct Comminications Unit *****
Austria, I suggest you contact their embassy in London in the first instance:
Austrian Embassy
18 Belgrave Mews West
JGM and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you