13262538

I'm mid divorce. My wife had an affair and walked out on me

Customer Question

I'm mid divorce. My wife had an affair and walked out on me and our two little girls who now live with me in the family home. She didn't want anything when she left. She now wants money from the house. The deeds are mine, the mortgage application was mine though her name was put on the mortgage some years back. I always paid the mortgage and she contributed to living expenses though eventually she was paying half the mortgage. She left three years ago and has not contributed a penny towards it since she left. The girls live with me in the house following a court order. Taking this into account, is she still entitled to money from the house? My career is over because of her leaving so my future earnings potential is poor. I'm also 52 and she is 31.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
When divorcing - either party can make a claim in respect of the matrimonial finances.
In relation to the matrimonial finances - The correct process for dealing with the matrimonial finances and division is to go through a process known as full and frank financial disclosure. Yourself and your wife need to exchange full details of all assets ( including pensions) and liabilities before negotiations take place in relation to settlement. Everything is included in disclosure - all assets and all liabilities.
The normal rule for division is 50/50 however the matrimonial causes act sets out factors which could lead to a departure from this rule. A few examples are the likely earning capacity of both of you for the future, health needs, future care of children etc
You should consider making a referral to a specialist mediation service. They can assist in relation to the process of disclosure and also in relation to negotiations about division. One such mediation service is the National Family Mediation service. www.nfm.org.uk
If agreement cannot be reached then an application would need to be made to the court. You can not make an application to the court until you have at least attempted mediation first.
It is very important that no division of any assets takes place until a court order is obtained.
If division is agreed without the need to apply to court then you should submit a consent order for Judicial approval prior to division and obtaining decree absolute. Not doing so could leave you open for a future claim. Claims have been entertained by the courts decades after divorce / separation - so it is important that you deal with things properly.
A Solicitor can help you draft the Consent Order to protect your position for the future. This should only cost circa £300 - £400.
Kind Regards
Caroline
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work and we do not get paid unless positive feedback is received.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to give you some practical assistance.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
How old are the children?