Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

I am a British citizen and live in Europe I recently married

Hi I am a British citizen and live in Europe I recently married and my husband is Tunisian.we
Both still live and work in Europe! And are wondering if he would be able to apply for a British passport.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I’m afraid that he would not qualify for UK citizenship simply because you are married to him.
All foreign citizens can only become UK citizen (and then apply for a passport) by applying for naturalisation as a UK citizen.
In order to naturalise a person has to meet the requirements on this page if they are married to a UK citizen:
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen
You will see from the second set of bullet points that a person must have spent 3 years in the UK before applying for naturalisaiton.
If you and your husband wished to return to the UK in order to settle here with a view to naturalising then he would have to apply for a spouse visa before coming here:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
I am sorry.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom