75100385

Ive lived in a property and ive not

Customer Question

ive lived in a property for 10years and for 9years ive not seen the landlord does this make it my property ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Sadly not.
In order to make it yours you need to live there for at least 10 years excluding all others. If you are paying rent then this shows that you do not own it - you accept you are not the owner. If you had not paid rent for 10 years you could then seek adverse possession,
But I assume you have paid rent so not.
If you have not then you need 10 years occupation and make an application to the Land Registry. Please see this link for the procedure.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i havent paid rent for 8years now on the advice of enviromental health cos the landlord wouldnt repair stuff in the property we have no address phone number nothink for him

Ok. You need 10 years rent free.
Does that help?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.