ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I want to divorce my husband,i am unemployed with no income.

I want to divorce my husband,i am unemployed with no income. will i be entitled to legal aid and if so how do i apply for it.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
The Rules for Legal Aid have changed and is only now available when Domestic Violence evidence can be obtained.
Domestic Violence has a wide definition.
If you suffered physical, emotional or financial abuse in the last two years and if you can get evidence and you also qualifies on means then you may be able to get legal aid and a solicitor to help.
Please see this link - in particular the GP letter - if your GP is satisfied that you are suffering from a condition such as stress as a result of her ex's behaviour and he completes the template letter - then you should take this to a Legal Aid Solicitor for a financial assessment.
https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/domestic-abuse-or-violence
You should also consider making a referral to a specialist mediation service to see if they can assist yourself and your husband agree arrangements re the matrimonial finances. One such service is www.nfm.org.uk
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.