ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have a daughter in Germany who I pay CSA for, however

Customer Question

Hi, I have a daughter in Germany who I pay CSA for, however I have never seen her, not even a photo. I have never spoken to her, I tried last month to arrange contact but they want nothing to do with me.
I split with the mother due to moving back to the UK, there was no adverse reason why we split, we just did. My daughter will be 17 this year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am I still required to pay CSA?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please can I ask:
- has there already been an assessment by the CSA?
- is your daughter still in full time education (not university level)?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been paying since 2007 when I found out I had a daughter through the German Landkries in Osnabruck. As far as I am aware she is still in education and will be until 18. I pay around £300 a month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apart from knowing her name, I no nothing else about her, surely if they want nothing to do with me they, they dont want my money either???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only reason I ask is that I am supporting my immediate family where I have 2 daughters and a son on the way. With current financial market I am just concern about providing for my family.
Thank you for this - just to clarify are you aware of any current child maintenance order or assessment - or is it that you have just been paying privately since you found out?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i am paying via the Osnabruck Landkries and not directly to the mother.
If the mother has a child maintenance order through the German local government then she could seek to enforce this - should you stop paying.
The UK has a reciprocal agreement with certain countries called REMO in respect of the enforcement of child maintenance orders.
Germany is part of the REMO agreement.
If you stopped paying then the mother could seek enforcement via REMO and this would be passed to the UK courts for consideration and enforcement.
See: https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance-if-one-parent-lives-abroad/paying-parent-lives-in-the-uk
You should consider contact the German local government and ask them if your change in circumstances affects your current payment level.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
Ps unfortunately - your liability to pay maintenance does not actually rely on whether or not you actually see your daughter. Sorry - I know this isn't what you want to hear.

Kind Regards

Caroline