13262538

My brother-in-law has dementia - is in a care home - my husband

My brother-in-law has dementia - is in a care home - my husband is his only relative. We have been advised to get a Power of Attorney to help us deal with financial matters but will we be taking on responsibilities by doing this?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youWho has dealt with his finances up until now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has lived independently in Leicester for many years. His health was getting worse so a social worker got him into a home there for his own safety. I presume that his affairs were dealt with by the home/social worker.
Do you feel able to take on this responsibility and the extra work involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It depends. My husband feels duty-bound to help his brother but my instinct is to let the authorities carry on dealing with the matter. Can you give an idea of the nature of the extra work?
It would be a matter of dealing with all his finances.Organising payments and sorting out his "pocket money"Not onerous in itself - although there will be an annual return to the Court Of Protection to show how themonies have been dealt withThe only extra responsibility as such is to keep careful accounts and deal with extra paperwork.However there is an argument for saying that choosing someone of the same generation i snot always the most sensible option.I hope that this is of assistance - do please ask if you need extra details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a Power of Attorney have any effect on a Will? It is doubtful whether Peter has made a will but with his illness we can't be sure!
HiNone whatsoever - if there is no Will then the Intestacy Rules will applyClare