ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My ex husband wants to review and secure more visits with our

my ex husband wants to review and secure more visits with our children 14 & 17.5 yrs old. there relationship is very poor currently due to him starting a relationship with a very dear friend of mine (opur children grew up with her she was like their second mum) they feel betrayed. He has threatened to walk out of their lives and I have done my best to persuade him to stay -that they are hurting- but to force them into staying at her home three nights a week is making them very frightened. can he do this?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are experiencing with the father of your children.

Given your childrens ages - the court would simply not acccept any type of applicatin made by the father in relation to him wanting to spend time with them.

I note that you have sought to promote the relationship between the children and thier father but the father is now demanding the children either play his game and stop over at a house that they dont want too or he will cut all ties with the children.

I agree that such behaviour is unacceptable. Given the ages of your children it is really down to their wishes and feelings as to whether they wish to spend time with their father - they certainly cannot be forced. Emotional balckmail by the father is really not going to work with the children and they will hopefully see right through this. Unfortunately family courts can also not make the father a bette one. If he does stop his relationship with the children because his demands are not being met - then the children should recognise his behaviour. It really is up to your children as to whether or not they want to spend time with him.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to rate positively - no credit is received for our work unless positive feedbakc is received.