Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My partner of 16 years won't sell the house we bought jointly

My partner of 16 years won't sell the house we bought jointly as he says that he paid for all the improvement with his money and his indowment money.
We bought the house by selling my and his property and I also had a endowment payout that went to pay the mortgage off while he still has his .
He argues that he also pays for the our holidays once a year and that I should only get back what I put in the house
He won't sell and said that if I want to leave I should go till he decide what to do
He has 3 children and I have 4 from previous relationship
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
If the house in joint names then the starting point will be that you own the property on a 50-50 basis - one party can arguably advance a position that they will be entitled to a greater share but they will have to prove that to the court if that can not be agreed. You can apply to the court for an order for sale - to make the property be sold. Equally if there are issues of abuse you can apply to the court for an occupation order. I would be minded to see a solicitor who can take you through all of your options and if necessary issue court proceedings. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no physical abuse as yet there are the odd threats,all I want is to leave there are no other parties involved
He feels that he is not in a position to move and that I should of thought about it before we bought the house together .
Would the court help and costly what if he disagree still
The court has the power to order a sale of the property whether he agrees or not. I would always be minded to see a solicitor before leaving as tactically that is not always the smartest thing to do. Please rate positive.