Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I'm separated but still living with my husband. our house

hi …I'm separated but still living with my husband. our house is up for sale. i work part time in my hairdressing business. he works from home selling cars. after 15 months separation he is now asking me to pay council tax and has said he is unwilling to carry on paying the mortgage. my solicitor has said not to hand him any cash as he has not incurred any extra expenses since we separated. i always paid for groceries and provided for our 3 children.. they are now all grown and left home. do i still have the right to live at home with him continuing paying the bills as he always did? i still provide some groceries and pay the tv license. 90% of the contents of the house were purchased by me during our 28 year marriage. he is pressuring me for cash (£500 month) which i cannot afford.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Yes you still are entitled to live in the property subject to it being sold. It is a matter for you as to whether you propose to contribute any sums but I rather agree with your solicitor on this point. The key in many ways is to ensure that the property is sold as soon as possible. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
I hope that this helps - please rate positive - thanks