Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I am divorced following an abusive relationship. We have a

I am divorced following an abusive relationship. We have a son who is now 10 years old. My ex husband has contact every 4 weeks when he travels approx. 2 hours from where he lives to his parents house where I take my son to meet him. On the last visit because I would not agree to my son going to where he lives 2 hours away for the weekend (staying overnight) which he has never done before, he got angry and tried to stop us leaving by opening my car door and then not getting out of the way. He is often verbally abusive on the phone if I do not agree with his demands. He has a history of drug and drink abuse and was violent towards me when we were together. I would like to know how the law stands in regards ***** ***** I have to still take my son to meet him.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Is there a court order in place? Have you attempted mediation?
What is the ten year old saying he wants to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no court order just an agreement when we divorced of every four weeks and my son was upset by the incident however he still wants to be in contact with him although he says he's happy not to if I don't want him to. It's not necessarily that he doesn't see him its that fact that I have to see him as well at the moment.

It is up to you as to whether he should have contact as there is no court order. Your ex would need to apply to the court for a child arrangement order. He would need to propose a mediation first (MIAM) to see if you can agree a way forward, but if that did not resolve the issue then he can take you to court. I would be of the view that a mediation would be helpful in this case in any event. He needs to know that he can not be abusive towards you as this harms the child. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.