Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

My wife currently has the house in her name only . the mortgage

my wife currently has the house in her name only . the mortgage is also in her name only .
I have been paying the mortgage indirectly via my wife for the last 15 years . My wife wants to add my name to the deeds of the house . How do we do this ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If there is a mortgage on the property then you will not be able to add your name to the legal title for the property unless the lender agrees. The lender will have a first legal charge on the property which prevents changes in ownership without their consent.Therefore, you should approach your lender to ask for their forms to add your name to the title. If after you have applied to them they agree then you will have instruct a solicitor to do this for you. It should be fairly cheap.If your lender does not agree to add your name to the title, then your only option would be to apply to a different lender for a mortgage in your joint names. If another lender offers you a joint mortgage offer then, again, you would have to instruct a solicitor in order to do a remortgage/transfer of equity. This way would be a bit more expensive because you would also have to pay new search fees of around £200-250 because the lender is different. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom